It’s that time of year again! The buzz from the holiday season is beginning to wear off, which makes this the perfect opportunity to reflect on the year ahead of us. New Year’s resolutions have a reputation for sticking around for a few months before bad habits and the busyness of life takes its place. In fact, did you know that just 8% of people who make resolutions actually keep them? That means for the other 92%, resolutions are just short-lived hopes. At Newport Fitness, we want to help you take your hopes and turn them into a healthy, strong reality! Having goals that will help increase our health and quality of life are great, so let’s make them stick this year. Here are some tips on how to turn your resolutions into healthy habits:
The key to successful resolutions is to not overcomplicate them; use simple and concise language instead. Move away from generic statements like, “Be healthier,” and towards more action-oriented goals like, “I’ll live a healthier lifestyle by exercising three times a week.” This action item gives you a concrete goal you can actually achieve.
Shorter Is Better
Let’s be real. If we put 50 items on our resolutions list, we won’t be able to give each of them the attention they deserve. Conserve your energy by keeping your resolutions list relatively short. People who have less resolutions are more likely to commit to them, while avoiding feelings of being overwhelmed.
See Your Goals Everyday
It’s one thing to write down your resolutions, but it can be helpful to think of ways to make your goals and resolutions tangible. You could start by making a Pinterest board of things that inspire you, or writing down your goals in places you’ll see them every day, such as your bathroom or on your coffee maker.
When we set goals for ourselves, it’s normal to feel pressure about achieving them. But, we set goals at the beginning of the year for a reason! It can take time to establish habits and see results, so don’t be hard on yourself.
Celebrate Small Successes
Our resolutions might actually encompass many smaller goals. Don’t forget to celebrate small successes. Did you cook a healthy meal? Did you make it to the gym today? Did you practice patience with your kids or coworkers? That’s something to be proud of and to celebrate. After all, it’s these small changes that will help you achieve your long-term resolutions.
Remember Your Community
No matter what your resolutions are, don’t forget to rely on the support of your Newport Fitness community. Take advantage of group classes, get-togethers, and challenges. We’re much more likely to achieve our goals when we recognize the community that’s cheering us on.
Staying committed to your resolutions can be tough, but you can get a head start with Newport Fitness. Let’s achieve our resolutions together!